5 Reasons dental implants can improve your wellbeing
If you’re missing a tooth, whether you had to have it removed or because you lost it in an accident, then you should consider a dental implant. Not only is a dental implant an aesthetic improvement (that can also help boost your self-confidence), but it can a positive impact on your health as well. The following are five ways that a dental implant can improve your health:
1. Prevent gums from receding – If you don’t fill in the gap left by a missing tooth, then the gums in that area will start to recede. This can lead to an open pocket that promotes the growth of bacteria, which will potentially result in gum disease.
2. Prevent the loss of bone density – When a tooth is removed, not only is there a gap in which the gums are exposed, but there’s bone as well. This bone surrounded the tooth before it was removed. If the gap is left as is, that bone will begin to degenerate and weaken, causing the jawbone to lose density and shrink in size, which can lead to a lot of issues.
3. Dental implants ensure that you chew normally – A gap in your teeth can cause you to change how you chew due to discomfort. For instance, you may chew all your food on one side of your mouth, which can eventually lead to issues on that side. Dental implants feel like regular teeth, thereby allowing you to chew and eat normally.
4. Keep your other teeth strong – Other dental options to fill your gap can affect the strength of the surrounding teeth. Dental implants are anchored directly into your jaw, which means they won’t affect the structural integrity of your other teeth.
5. Other options are less durable – Some dental options, such as bridges, will eventually have to be replaced due to general wear and tear. You’ll never have to worry about accidentally damaging your dental implants since they will last a lifetime.
These are five reasons why a dental implant can improve your well-being. Not only can they help you maintain your oral health, but they can help preserve your original smile as well. For more information about dental implants or to schedule an appointment from the best dentist in Waterloo, be sure to contact us at Waterloo Smiles Dentistry today.