What is Orthodontics?
The condition of your teeth is important for a number of reasons – damaged or missing teeth can cause discomfort while chewing, can hinder the ability to chew properly and can affect your self-confidence if it affects your smile. Fortunately, there’s an area of dentistry that focuses on this and it’s called orthodontics. If you are missing teeth or have damaged teeth, you should consider a dental office that specializes in orthodontics in Waterloo.
What exactly is orthodontics?
Orthodontia is an area of dentistry in which dental and facial irregularities are prevented, diagnosed and treated. Patients who go to regular dentists will be referred to orthodontists if they are in need of orthodontic treatment. Orthodontists are specialists who must study two to three additional years in the area of orthodontics in order to be licensed.
What do orthodontists do?
Orthodontists are trained to treat many different conditions, including malocclusions, which are orthodontic misalignments. Types of malocclusions include the following:
- Problems with jaw growth
- Congenitally missing teeth
- The presence or growth of extra teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Protruded teeth
- Spacing problems
In addition to these malocclusions, orthodontists can also treat the premature loss of baby teeth, the retention of baby teeth, certain types of dental diseases and certain dental accidents (like a broken tooth). Common orthodontic procedures include the tooth removal, dental implants, dental crowns and bridges and braces, to name a few.
Reasons to see an orthodontist
The following are just a few of the benefits of seeing an orthodontist in Waterloo: • Improve your self-confidence – Straightening your teeth or by replacing missing teeth with dental implants, can help improve your self-confidence and therefore your quality of life.
- Improve function – An abnormal bite can make it more difficult to chew and can eventually cause other dental problems. Missing teeth can also make it more difficult to chew.
- Prevent speech impediments – Abnormal teeth structure can cause speech impediments.
- Prevent gum disease – Crowded or misaligned teeth can make it more difficult to clean, increasing the risk of gum disease.
- Remove discomfort – If your teeth become too crowded, it can result in other dental issues that can cause pain and discomfort.
Orthodontics in Waterloo
If you want to improve your smile, then you will want to visit a dentistry that specializes in orthodontics in Waterloo. We specialize in Invisalign orthodontics, but if traditional, fixed braces are required we’ll refer you to one of our amazing orthodontists in Waterloo.
Be sure to contact us at Waterloo Smiles Dentistry to schedule an appointment today.