Do Whitening Toothpastes Really Work?
Important Dental Health Tips to Keep in Mind
Are you thinking about using whitening toothpaste to remove ugly stains or brighten your smile? Although widely advertised as being the quick and convenient, do-it-yourself solution, results may not always meet your expectations. It’s important to keep in mind that all whitening toothpastes are not created equal; you must know which one works and will work for your teeth. Apart from disappointing results, unsupervised and frequent use can also harm your teeth. To learn more about whether you should use whitening toothpaste at all or which one is right for you, talk to your local Waterloo dentist.
In the meantime, here are some facts about whitening toothpastes provided by the Canadian and American dental associations.
- Whitening toothpastes typically contain chemicals that help break down or dissolve stains, and special abrasives that gently polish the teeth.
- When used twice a day, whitening toothpaste can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to make teeth appear whiter.
- These toothpastes can’t change the natural colour of your teeth or lighten a stain that goes deeper than a tooth’s surface.
- The effectiveness of these products is limited to surface stains and should not be used as a substitute for professional cleaning.
- Some whitening toothpastes contain the chemical blue covarine which adheres to the surface of the teeth and creates an optical illusion that can make teeth appear less yellow.
- Excessive use of whitening toothpaste can damage your tooth enamel over time.
- You can also buy good toothpaste from your near toothpaste supplier for increasing you tooth whiteness.
Consult your dentist for recommended products to protect your teeth and oral health.
At Waterloo Smiles, we offer free “teeth whitening services for life”. We help restore the natural teeth whiteness for a beautiful smile that makes you feel good about yourself.
Individuals who want faster results can take advantage of our dentist-supervised Zoom teeth whitening (not part of the “whitening for life service”) which has been known to deliver better results than other methods. Many patients report results that are up to 8 shades lighter. A dental check-up is required prior to the treatment to ensure everything is in order and treatment is personalized to suit your needs. Click here to read testimonials from our smiling clients! Call 519-888-6063 or click here to schedule an appointment with Dr. Husain, your experienced Waterloo dentist, and learn more about how to improve your dental health.